Rauf Osman Ma'roof was born in 1945 in Sulaymaniyah to a religious, intellectual and patriotic family.
He completed his primary, secondary and high school education in Sulaymaniyah and obtained a bachelor's degree in Arabic literature and language from the College of Arts/Baghdad University in 1979.
- He worked as an Arabic language teacher in Sulaymaniyah Boys High School, Frishta Girls High School, Azmar Boys High School, Halkawt Boys High School and Khanzad Girls High School.
- Later, he was appointed as a supervisor of Arabic language due to his high academic level.
- He obtained a master's degree from Sulaymaniyah University and became a lecturer in the Department of Arabic Language.
- Doctorate from Mustansiriyah University in Baghdad.
- He was elected as the president of Galawezh Literary and Intellectual Center for two terms.
- Member of both Kurdish and Iraqi Writers Unions.
- Member of Kurdistan Union of Journalists and European Union of Journalists.
- Twice won the rank of member of the Iraqi parliament.
- He has published articles and research in both Arabic and Kurdish in the following newspapers (Kurdistan New / Iraq / Khabat / Awene / Brotherhood / Democracy / Hawkari / Aso / Hawlati / Zhin / Al-Madi / Al-Takhi / National Association.)
- For a while he was a member of the editorial board of both magazines Jriwa and Galawezh.
- He has published his works in both Arabic and Kurdish in the following magazines (Bayan / Karwan / Roshnbiri Nui / Gizng / Galawezhi Nwe in Kurdish and Arabic / Kurdish Writer / Shams Kurdistan / Sulaymaniyah / Esta / Rovar / Sardam / Kurdish Writer / Zarde / Peyvin / Raman / Kurdish Academy / Speech / Literary Audience)
- He has published 16 books in both Kurdish and Arabic in the field of literature and intellectuals.