Azad Hamad Sharif
Asst. Prof. Dr. Azad Hamad Sharif
Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq
▪ B.A in English Language/College of Arts/Baghdad University. (1980). Standing : (Very Good)
▪ M.A in English Literature (Sociology of American Drama) / College of Arts/ Baghdad University. (1983). Standing : (Very Good)
▪ Training Course of Methods of Teaching (4 Oct. – 7 Oct. 1993). Standing : (Excellent)
▪ PhD in English Literature (Dystopian Literature – Modern Novel)/College of Languages/ Koya University ( 2008 ) Standing : (Distinction)
▪ Ms Windows; Ms Windows NT; Ms Word; Ms Excel; Ms Power Point; Lotus Notes; Internet; scanner.
▪ Written and spoken fluency in English, Arabic and Kurdish.
▪ Proficient in basic German, and some how Persian & Turkish.
❑ Director of Media Language Center in Erbil (1993- 2015).Teaching English, Kurdish, Arabic & German to learners (Evening Courses) + Translation (1993-2015).
❑ Editor-in-Chief of (Kurdistan News Monthly published in Erbil – Kurdistan Region of Iraq). (1993- Jul. 2003).
❑ Education Assistant at UNESCO (2001).
❑ Public Information Associate in UNOPS-MAP& Editor of MAP Newsletter (in English-Sorani-Bahdinani Dialects) (2001-2003).
❑ Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs of College of Fine Arts/Salahaddin University (Nov., 2006 – May 2007).
❑ Assistant Professor of English Literature in English Dept../ College of Arts/ Salahaddin Uni. Specialization: Modern Novel.
❑ Director of Translation in Iraqi Kurdistan National Assembly (1999 -2001)
❑ Founder and Chairman of Kurdistan Translators’ Society. (1993-1996).
❑ Interpreter at “Gender&Development Workshop” by Iraqi Al-Amal Association & Oxfam (3-6 July 2000).
❑ Active member of Iraqi Writers’ Union (Since1986).
❑ Active member of Kurdistan Journalists Union (Since 2001).
❑ Active Member of Kurdistan Artists Union (Since 2002).
❑ Intellectual Advisor to Bedirxan Publishing House- Erbil (2010 - till Apr. 2012).
❑ Active Member of International Federation of Journalists (2011 – till now).
❑ Founder of Tropk Cultural Establishment (2013)
❑ Editor – in – Chief of (Tropk Cultural Quarterly (2015)
❑ Member of the Scientific Committee of Dept. of English-College of Languages/Salahaddin University (2014 – till now)
❑ Member in the Hall of Fame (Salahaddin University- Erbil – Kurdistan Region of Iraq) 2018- till now. (Link: http://su.edu.krd/about/history/hfame )
❑ Member of Worldcat (Link: https://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=Azad+Heme+Serif)
❑ Active Member of (Pen Kurd – A Branch of Pen International) (21 May 2020).
I. As TRANSLATOR of the following works into Kurdish:
▪ Death of a Salesman a play by Arthur Miller (1984) & (2008)
▪ A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man a novel by James Joyce (1987) & (2010)
▪ The Teachings of the Magi: A Compendium of Zoroastrian Beliefs, by R.C. Zaehner, (2000) & (2004).
▪ Romeo and Juliet a play by William Shakespeare (2000), (2004) & (2008).
▪ Macbeth a play by William Shakespeare (2000) & (2008).
▪ Effective Lectures: Modern Methods of Teaching.Translation for UNESCO from English into Kurdish. Published in (2001)&(2007).
▪ Hamlet a play by William Shakespeare (2008).
▪ In the Penal Colony a novella by Franz Kafka. (2009)
▪ Emperor Jones a play by Eugene O’Neill (2009)
▪ The Glass Menagerie a play by Tennessee Williams (2009).
▪ Love in a Torn Land a novel by Jean Sasson (2011).
▪ As You Like It, a play by William Shakespeare (2011).
▪ Four Modern Plays by: Dimtri Basanas, Yeats, Adamov, Sidric Mont, (2012)
▪ A Midsummer Night's Dream, a play by William Shakespeare (2012).
▪ The Story of Civilisation; Vol: 5 – Renaissance by Will Durant (2015)
▪ Twelfth Night, a play by William Shakespeare (2016).
▪ The Spy, a novel by Paulo Coelho (2017).
▪ Brave New World by: Aldous Huxley (2017)
▪ Love: Selected Quotations by Paulo Coelho (2017).
▪ The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard (2017)
▪ The Tempest, a play by William Shakespeare (2018).
II. As AUTHOR of the following works in Kurdish & English :
▪ Extra-terrestrial Beings a book in the field of physics (1988).(Kurdish)
▪ Singing on the Lap of Death : A Collection of Modern Kurdish Poems (1991). (Kurdish)
▪ Newekar a course book for learning English (2001) & (2005). (Kurdish)
▪ The Games of the Authority (Gemekany Deselat) 3 Plays of the Author in Kurdish – 2008) (Kurdish)
▪ Azad’s Advanced Dictionary (English – Kurdish) (100000 Words – Will be printed in 2018)
▪ Thesis for M.A Degree in Englishtitled “The Breakdown of Family Relationships: A Study in Selected Plays ofArthur Miller &Tennessee Williams” (1983).(English)
▪ Dissertation for PhD Degree in Englishtitled “Dystopia in Modern British Fiction: An Analytic Study of Wells' , Huxley's and Orwell's Novels ”(2008).(English)
▪ Mem: A Collection of Critical Essays (ed.) (Kurdish, 2009).
▪ Killing the Dreams in the East: Critical Analysis of Eastern Thinking (Kurdish, 2009)
▪ Muharem Mohammed Ameen: A Collection of Critical Essays (ed.) (Kurdish, 2011).
▪ Spotlights on Kurdish Folk Art (English, 2 Editions in 2012)
▪ Jamil Saib: A Collection of Critical Essays (ed.) (Kurdish, 2012).
▪ Tropik (Editor in Chief) (A Kurdish Quarterly Magazine – No. 1 / 2015)
III. ACHADEMIC RESEARCHES:
▪ The Fugitive and the Gypsy: A Comparative Study in Pushkin's and Arnold's Poems Zanko Magazine, No (26) 2005.
▪ The Dialectics of Knowledge and Being in T. S. Eliot's 'Burnt Norton' Zanko Magazine, No (29) 2007.
▪ The Bird Symbol in English Romantic and Post-Romantic Poetry Al- Ustadh Journal, No (142) 2011.
▪ The Socio-cosmological Dystopia in The Time Machine Al- Ustadh Journal, No (145) 2011.
▪ The Destiny of Man and Environment in Jean Sasson's Love in a Torn Land (2007) Journal of Koya University, No (20) Sep., 2011.
▪ The Biblical Influence on Stephen King's Desperation (1996) Al- Ustadh Journal, No (205) 2013.
▪ Mental Disorder and Stream of (Un)consciousness in English and American Fiction IJTRA – Vol. 4, Issue 4 (July-August, 2016).
▪ “Hegemony and Resistance in Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart: A Postcolonial Study” Accepted for Publication in Twezher Journal.
▪ “Nature’s Retaliation in the Sumerian Epic Gilgamesh: An Ecocritical Study” Accepted for Publication in Academic Journal of Garmian University.
▪ “The Conflict Between Day and Night in Ann Finch’s “A Nocturnal Reverie: An Ecocritical Study “Al-Adab Journal, No (130) August 2019.
▪ “The Impact of Place on Personality in Kazuo Ishiguro’s A Pale View of Hills: An Eco-critical Study” Vol. 6 No (2), 2019
▪ “The Contrasting Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin’s Always Coming Home: An Ecofeminist Study”Vol. 6 No (3) 2019
▪ “Ecocritical Consciousness in Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale”. Vol:58 issue:4, 2019
IV. REVISION of TRANSLATED BOOKS (from English into Kurdish):
I- Osborne’s Look Back in Anger (1986), II-Maupassant’s Short Stories (1994), III- A Concise Computer Dictionary (2000), IV- Hemingway, A Farewell to
Arms (2003), V- Harold Pinter, The Mountain Language (2005). VI- 40 Sonnets of Shakespeare (2014).
V. ARTICLES, ESSAYS, and RESEARCHES:
▪ Published 330 articles, essays, researches, and translations in Kurdish, Arabic & English in Newspapers and Magazines inside Iraq.
REGIONAL and INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOPS, FESTIVALS & CONFERENCES (participation/coordination):
▪ (Gender & Development Workshop) organized by Iraqi Al-Amal Assosication and Oxfam in Erbil (2000)
th International IDEA Conference in Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey (15-17 April 2009).
▪ Training Course & Workshop in Curriculum Development (Salahaddin & Appalachian University) (11-22 July 2009)
▪ Coordinator of Bedirxan's 6th Festival in Athens, Greece (19 -20 Oct., 2009).
▪ 10th MELUS-MELOW International Conference/First Chandigarh Litfest, Chandigarh, India (25-27 Feb. 2010).
▪ Coordinator of Bedirxan's 7th Festival in Washington D. C., USA (29 -30 Jun., 2010).
▪ Coordinator of Bedirxan's Annual Festival in Crete, Greece (21st Jan., 2011).
▪ A Carnival of Feminist Cultural Activism, Conference, (Organized by the Centre for Women's Studies –The University of York)(3-5March,2011)York, UK.
▪ Coordinator of Bedirxan's 8
th Festival in Paris – France (9 -10 Jul., 2011).
▪ Coordinator of Bedirxan's 9th Festival in Tbilisi – Georgia (21 -23 Mar., 2012).
▪ OASIS - Orientale American Studies International School (Organized by Universita Delgi Studi Di Napoli L'Orientale )(21-27 May,2012) Procida - Naploi, Italy.
▪ IJAS – International Conference of Arts and Sciences (3 – 6 Dec.,2013) Freiburg - Germany.
▪ Speaker in Shakespeare Lives Forum (held by AUIS – Sulaimania and British Council) 3rd May 2016.
▪ International Conference on Ecocriticism and Environmental Studies (13 May 2017) Warsaw – Poland.
I. Undergraduate Courses: (General Literature, Literary Criticism (Classical & Modern), English and American Drama, English and American Novel,
English and American Poetry, Composition and Creative Writing, Aesthetics)
II. MA. Courses: (Victorian Novel, World Drama, Romantic Poetry, Postcolonial Literature, Modern Literary Criticism, Modern Literary Theory)
III. PhD. Courses: (Ecocriticism, Modern Novel), (Philosophical Texts in English)
I. Undergraduates (108) II. MA. (5) III. PhD. (2)
MEMBER of MA & PHD EXAMINING COMMITTEE/SCIENTIFIC ASSESSMENT (Academic Accreditation):
I. MA. (20) II. PhD. (6) III. Academic Accreditation for MA./ PhD Holders from overseas Universities (118)
Duties & Responsibilities in UNOPS (2001-2003)
▪ Participating in the Strategic Plan, Annual Plan and Common Program Framework of UNOPS/ MAP (2002).
▪ Establishing the Photo Library and the Document Resource Bank for Public Information Office.
▪ Writing Monthly Report of UNOPS Activities for the Public Information Section.
▪ Arranging UNOPS MAP Orientation Seminar for the Media (18 Nov. 2002)
▪ Designing and publishing the English Version of UNOPS MAP Newsletter.
▪ Translating, designing and publishing the Kurdish Version of UNOPS MAP Newsletter.
▪ Planning for the INTERNAL COMMUNICATION PROGRAMME on Weekly Basis about UNOPS-MAP and disseminating its activities.
▪ Liaison with the Local NGOs for the Victim Assistance Section.
▪ Liaison with the Local Authority and the target groups about the MAP.
▪ Writing brief News articles for the press.
▪ Inviting the Media team for the Hand over Ceremonies and other activities of UNOPS.
▪ Following-up the broadcast and / or publishing the articles and UNOPS activities.
▪ Weekly compilation of reports for RELIEFWEB & Iraqi Mine Action Center.
▪ Daily checking the Newspapers from Internet to see what is written on MAP and UNOPS.
▪ Making Stickers that reflect the Communication Theme of UNOPS MAP.
▪ Participating in the Boards of Inquiry (As Observer) (4) cases.
▪ Translating letters from English into Kurdish or Arabic and vice versa for the PC, DPC and Admin. Offices.
▪ Preparing the Agenda and the Minutes of the Management Meetings.
▪ Translating and reviewing some Publications and Documents of Mine Awareness Section.
▪ Helping other sections of MAP with the unification of MAP terminology.
▪ Coordination with ELS, Mechem and KOMA (Contractors of MAP-UNOPS).
▪ Arranging Trips and Field Visits for the Media Team to see the Projects implemented by the Program.
▪ Visiting News Editors and TV. Directors and discussing with them the significance of the Programme.
▪ Conducting Radio and TV. Interviews about the programme.